As you know, we recently moved from Bentonville to Gateway, my hometown. It is a small community near Garfield, just about 25 miles from Rogers. Good ol' country people with nothing but dirt roads and a new Dollar General. We were blessed to build our dream home next to my grandparents farm. We are not "rich" but have been frowned upon by a few people we have met in the area. We worked very hard for what we have and we are very thankful. We have never looked at ourselves as being better than anyone we meet around us.
Jacob started the new school out here. He went from being in an upper class school of 900 students to a lower class school with only 100 students. He was welcomed on the first day of school by so many sweet, young children and the best teacher ever. He has made so many new friends. We have been in school for a little over eight weeks now and I have had a house full of boys six weekends in a row! The Dixon house is the place to be. Jacob has his very own level upstairs that we call the "boy" cave. We have 28 acres for them to run around and play. It has been the best "army" fort in town for dirty little boys pretending to be soldiers.
I am a Title 1 teacher at his school now and everyday I have a new student come up to me and ask "Mrs. Dixon, when is it my turn to come to Jacob's house?"
Today, Jacob had two little boys come home with him. One of the boys lives a mile from us and we never knew it. I stopped by his house and introduced myself to his family. He was allowed to come over until eight tonight. He was precious. He lives in a very small home with six siblings and his parents. When Jacob and his other friend went to take him home, they went inside for a minute while we visited outside with the parents. We got home and Jacob said "he didn't have a room, no toys either, just a lot of beds in there. His other friend said, "yeah, you are lucky Jacob. He isn't very lucky".
I sat the boys down and explained to them that this group of boys who are becoming such great friends, all from different backgrounds, will be the best of friends if they stick together. Jacob was confused. He told me that this boy was one of his best friends? He didn't care that he didn't have his own room. I notice so much with my sweet boy. He brings home boys who wear top of the line clothes and he brings home boys who have dirty, worn clothing. He doesn't notice these things. He meets them and has a connection with them all. He has a heart of gold and loves them all dearly. It makes my heart so whole to see what a good little Christian man he is becoming.
He hasn't missed a single night of Awana's at our little Baptist church out here. One of his good friends invited him several weeks ago and he hasn't missed one since. He has invited another friend from class, who has never attended church EVER, and they love it too. The parents allow me to pick them up on Wednesday evenings to take them. I have become the "Honda Accord ministry" rather than the "church bus" but I love it. It makes me happy that Jacob looks forward to this evening with his friends learning about Jesus. It makes me happier that more of these little boys are coming along with us.
I had to write about this because I am seeing so many changes in my young man. He sees people for who they are and not for what they have. I am convicted because I failed at this for most of my life. I dont feel like I can take credit for his big, little heart. I thank God everyday for blessing my family so. I love Him so much and I owe my everything to Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment